Inside this Issue
- CFAES R&GE is pleased to announce the FY 2024 Internal Grants Program Request for Proposals
- A new and improved GDSU request form is now available on the CFAES R&GE website
- Connect with expertise! Search the new KX Expert Directory to link with other OSU CFAES researchers
- USDA released new dashboards that allow access to ag research funding investments data & tracking for apps
As funding opportunities are announced we will compile a full list on our website. The web page will be updated periodically as new opportunities are discovered.
NSF Major Research Instrumentation
The MRI Program serves to increase access to multi-user scientific and engineering instrumentation for research. Awards support the acquisition of a multi-user research instrument, or for the personnel costs and equipment that are required for the development of an instrument with new capabilities.
Deadline: August 1, 2023
NIH New Innovator Award Program
The NIH Director’s New Innovator Award Program supports early stage investigators of exceptional creativity who propose highly innovative research projects with the potential to produce a major impact on broad, important areas relevant to the mission of NIH.
Deadline: August 18, 2023
FY24 Internal grants program RFP Now Available!
Alex Maddox, CFAES IGP Coordinator
The CFAES Office for Research & Graduate Education is pleased to announce the FY2024 Internal Grants Program Request for Proposals. Keep an eye out for more information in the next week and be sure to review the RFP and application templates for the full list of proposal requirements. We are excited to announce the competition award level has increased for FY24. Student competitions will be released later in the summer.
New Researcher Incentive Program (maximum of $75,000 per award)
- Objective: CFAES recognizes that many new researchers have the interest and ability to develop innovative and robust research programs that can generate preliminary data needed to secure externally funded sponsored projects. The New Researcher Incentive Program aims to fund new, innovative research to generate that preliminary data.
- Eligibility: Principal Investigators must be in a tenure-eligible position, research scientists, or postdoctoral researchers in an academic unit or program within CFAES. New Researchers must also have been employed at OSU for less than six years in their current position and have PI status approval from the Office of Research. Adjunct or Emeritus faculty are not eligible. Positions designated as limited or Co-PI status by the Office of Research are not eligible.
Immediate Needs Program (maximum of $75,000 per award)
- Objective: CFAES recognizes the high potential to address immediate needs areas that are critical to our stakeholders and society. The Immediate Needs program provides funding to address critical needs by exploring new areas of research that CFAES does not currently address and/or applied research that directly supports CFAES stakeholders. The program will also consider funding projects that provide researchers and teams the resources to learn or develop new techniques or approaches that will position CFAES to better serve stakeholders or make faculty more competitive for future funding opportunities. Proposals must be submitted by a group (2 or more) of investigators. Investigators (both lead and Co-PI) may be from the same academic unit, but not the same lab.
- Eligibility: All CFAES researchers with Principal Investigator status are eligible to submit a proposal (except adjunct and emeritus faculty).
Due 10/11/23 by 5:00 p.m. Please submit online via the CFAES-R&GE Internal Grants Submission Portal.
*Please note that the Intellectual Property Accelerator Program has been discontinued due to lack of interest and applications. Similar funding opportunities are available through the Nationwide AgTech Innovation Hub program, the Ohio State Accelerator Awards, and the OSU Presidents Research Excellence (PRE) Program.
Interested in learning more about IGP? Please direct all questions to CFAES-IGP@osu.edu or visit go.osu.edu/fy24-igp for more information. You can also join us for an info session on:
- Tuesday, September 19 from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. – Register
- Wednesday, September 20 from 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. – Register
- Thursday, September 21 from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. – Register
Update on Public Access Plans at NASA
The webinar on 7/17 from 1-2 pm ET will review its new public access plan. Topics addressed will include scientific publications, data, data management plans, software, and software management plans. Registration is required.
Ohio Innovation Exchange
Access more than 13,000 faculty and 600 resources from campuses and laboratories around the state, with a mission to facilitate collaboration between Ohio’s leading academic and business minds.
In the News
New Expert Directory from KX
See the new tool below that has been released by the Knowledge Exchange for finding exports that could be used to identify researchers with funding opportunities.
Connect with expertise! Search the new Expert Directory by name, title, department, or keyword to get connected with world-class researchers from OSU CFAES.
Islam wins Commercialization Achievement Award
Rafiq Islam, a soil scientist at Ohio State, has received the university’s Commercialization Achievement Award in recognition of a 2021 licensing agreement for the rapid and low-cost soil health test he spent over a decade developing and perfecting.
Islam, who leads the Soil, Water, and Bioenergy Resources program in Piketon, began development of the soil test over 15 years ago with the goal of creating something that was affordable, and so convenient and simple to use that any landowner could use it to make informed decisions concerning soil health and the potential for agricultural productivity.
New and Improved GDSU Request Form Now Available!
We are pleased to announce an updated GDSU request form is now available on our website. These updates will provide our grant specialists with more pertinent information about your submission, allowing us to get you up and running with what you need sooner. The requested information should not add much time to your completion of the form.
The Office of Sponsored Programs’ micro-purchase threshold increase
OSP's Micro-Purchase Threshold (MPT) is increasing from $25,000 to $75,000, effective July 1, 2023.
NSF Pre- and Post-award Disclosures
This table provides helpful reference information regarding pre-award and post-award disclosure information in the biographical sketch and current and pending (other) support proposal sections. The table identifies where these disclosures must be provided in proposals as well as in project reports.
Research Development & Grant Writing News
We invite you to access the current issue of Research Development and Grant Writing News. The Enterprise for Research, Innovation, and Knowledge | Research Development Office provides access to this subscription-based newsletter for the entire campus community.
- June 2023 Select List of Humanities, HSS, and Arts Opportunities & News – A list of funding opportunities for scholars in the humanities, social sciences and the arts.
- What is Use-Inspired Science and Why Do You Need to Know That? – NSF has announced a number of funding opportunities focused on “use-inspired research.” A discussion about what that means.
- Plagiarism, Fabrication, and Falsification – Discussion of recent cases brought by NSF’s Office of Inspector General, which can be instructive for PIs.
- The Chips & Science Act: What is it Funding? – How the huge amount of funding authorized by the Chips and Science Act is being translated into funding opportunities.
- NSF BioFoundries & Related Programs – Biotechnology is one of NSF’s five industries of the future. Learn how this and related funding opportunities support that priority and get a good example of “use-inspired research” that’s of interest to NSF.
- Planning to Write as a Team - Writing team proposals is all about integration of team members’ contributions. More on this challenge and how to meet it (reprinted from the November 2014 issue).
- Avoiding A Common Reviewer Complaint: Descriptive Research – Reviewers often criticize proposals for being “descriptive.” Interpreting this problem and how to avoid it (reprinted from the March 2021 issue).
Final reminder for eCOI disclosures
Anyone who has not completed their 2023 Conflict of Interest disclosure form by June 30 will be out of compliance and animal, human and IBC protocols, grant submissions and awards cannot be processed until all outstanding disclosure forms related to the transaction are complete. Those still needing to disclose will receive an email on June 26 with a link to disclose.
OSU provides resources here: https://go.osu.edu/safe-and-inclusive-work-environment-plan. If the proposal is funded, the plan must be distributed to everyone who will be participating in the off-site or off-campus research activities. Please direct any questions to your SPO.
Resource Update: Legacy RefWorks Retiring
Attention OSU RefWorks users. Starting June 28, Legacy RefWorks will no longer be available. Accounts meeting specific criteria (10+ citations, logged in since January 2019, not individually upgraded) will auto-upgrade by the end of the month. Watch out for a notification from RefWorks. Need assistance? Contact OSU Libraries or the Health Sciences Library. Learn more about the upgrade on the HSL website.
Looking for your ideas!
Where do you find funding opportunities or share your ideas for the chance to win cash prizes? Students, researchers, and faculty from the academic community are ideally suited to participate in prize competitions. Challenge.Gov wants to know how to best reach you so you can share your innovations to benefit the American people. They want to know:
Visit the ReachU page at Challenge.Gov and click “Apply for this Challenge”. Use the online form to briefly share the best ways to connect. Share your idea by August 25.
USDA Unveils New Tool to Track Federally Funded Investments
USDA has released two new data dashboards that allow users to access high-level data about NIFA’s ag research funding investments and track the status of their grant apps. USDA stakeholders and partners, members of the media and the public can now access, download, and save data on all NIFA competitive and capacity funds granted since fy18. This tool offers users the ability to pull information on funding investments by research program and grant type, congressional district, recipient, and other focused searches.
The NIFA Grant Funding Dashboard allows users to search for info related to requirements, waivers, and the amount of match funding provided by recipient type and award. Users can also explore a funding map to find NIFA funding obligations by states and congressional districts. The NIFA Application Status Dashboard enables users to check the status of their application using their assigned Grants.gov tracking number.
Exciting Opportunity for New Faculty and Researchers
The SRAI PI Intensive is a comprehensive workshop designed to empower new faculty and researchers with the essential knowledge base and skills they need to excel in their research careers.
The 1.5 day program will be held October 12 – 13, 2023 in Seattle, Washington at the Hyatt Regency. Led by distinguished researchers from across the SRAI network, this program offers valuable insights and practical guidance for our Senior Postdoctoral Fellows, Assistant Professors, and Faculty new to research.
- Kirk Bloir - OSU Extension, $13,500: 2023 Ohio State Fair Non-Livestock OEC Support, OH Expos Commission
- Kirk Bloir - OSU Extension, $40,658: 2023 Ohio State Fair Youth Livestock Events, OH Expositions Commission
- Leonardo Deiss - SENR, $95,000: Summarizing 60 years of the Triplett-Van Doren Exp, OH Soybean Council
- Lyda Garcia - AS, $186,739: Student workforce development program promoting experiential learning for the meat and poultry industry, Prairie View A&M University
- Nathaniel Heiden - Plant Path, $121,391: Characterizing X. translucens growth inducers from its barley host, National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- Rattan Lal - SENR, $92,445: Quantifying soil organic carbon on cotton farms throughout the southeastern US & TX, Cotton, Incorporated
- Emily Marrison - OSU Extension, $2,400: Nurturing Parent Program Education 2023, Coshocton County Court of Common Pleas – Probate and Juvenile Division
- Amy Meehan - OSU Extension, $99,996: Multi-state rural engagement for autonomy in immunization education & addressing vaccine hesitancy, eXtension
- Mary Rose - OSU Extension, $440,000: Pesticide safety education program 2023, Ohio Department Of Ag
- Eric Toman - SENR, $90,908: A North American blueprint for wildland fire science collaboration, United States Endowment for Forestry and Communities, Inc
Nationwide AgTech Innovation Hub Awards
- Sami Khanal - FABE, $149,960: Multimodal data fusion for precision risk management: blending computer vision with sensor telemetry
- Cara Lawson - ACEL, $130,299: Mapping climate risk audiences: A national assessment of climate risk experience and perceptions in the United States
- Horacio Lopez-Nicora - Plant Path, $148,362: It starts and ends with seeds – studying pathogen interactions and climate risks to improve soybean establishment and marketing post-harvest
- Steven Lyon - SENR, $148,151: Drought risk reduction through automated drainage water management
- Guo-Liang Wang - Plant Path, $149.905: Cell-permeable proteins for sustainable agriculture
Events & Opportunities
- NIFA RFA Technical Assistance Webinar
Get an Overview of the Research & Extension Experiences for Undergrads (REEU) for FY23
August 6 from 12:00-1:00 PM
- Division of Animal Systems
Join NIFA for the Div. of Animal Systems Technical Assistance Webinar for AFRI Programs
July 6 from 2:00-3:00 PM
- NIFA Technical Assistance Live FAQ Session
Learn about Rapid Response to Extreme Weather Events Across Food and Agriculture Systems
July 26 from 2:30-3:30 PM