R&GE provides technical assistance to faculty and staff on the management of their sponsored program award, referred to as post award. Both faculty and staff are responsible for sponsored project management. We assist departments by providing reports to monitor funding and spending, assistance with critical purchasing, effort certification, and to monitor the financial health of the FAES sponsored projects portfolio. Additionally, faculty will want to work with their deptartment level grants specialist and fiscal officer on spending plans.
It is always important to make sure that awarded funds are being used effectively and as expected by the sponsor. Some important things to keep in mind while reviewing your award are:
- Review your award’s terms and conditions. The award notification often has details on what kinds of budget items are not allowable.
- Ensure that costs are consistent with the project schedule and are incurred between the start and stop dates of the project. Confirm the availability of project funds as needed, but make sure to avoid overspending, which may cause a deficit and limit further spending.
- On a monthly basis, review your sponsored project account summary in case there are ever any errors in your budget, encumbrances, or expenditures.
- Verify that Change Requests, corrections, and cost transfers are being made in a timely manner.
- Maintain detailed records of award transactions and events in case it needs to be revisited at a later date or the project is subject to an audit.
The PI has primary responsibility for accomplishing the technical goals of the project, while also complying with the financial and administrative policies and regulations associated with the award.
To carry out their responsibilities effectively, principal investigators will want to work with their dept. level grants specialist and fiscal officer on spending plans.
For questions contact David Mackie (email@example.com), Sr. Grants & Contracts Specialist – post award services.
Award Management Resources
- Project Initiation
- Requesting a Preliminary Project Number
- Project Performance
- Procurement (Purchases)
- Financial Statements
- No-Cost Extensions (NCE)
- Project Closeout
- Workday: Discovery Theme Guidance, Costing Allocations and epa-005